These almond and lemon filled cookies are a favorite of my great grandma’s around the holiday time. Think crispy fried dough with lemon almond sugary goodness.
- 1 lb almonds (ground fine in food processor with pinch of water)
- 1/2 lb sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- 1/4 tsp clove
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- In a medium sauce pan, add sugar, 1/2 cup water, and lemon juice. Turn heat to medium-low, stirring the mixture until the sugar is dissolved.
- 1lb flour
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Enough water to get the dough to form
- In large bowl, add flour. Make a well in the middle and add oil.
- Work dough with hands. Add water (1 tbsp at a time) and continue working dough, adding water as needed, until dough forms a ball.
- Almond Filling (above)
- Dough (above)
- 1 egg, beaten
- Olive oil and vegetable oil to fry
- Take a small piece of dough. Using a pasta machine, work dough through the machine starting on #10 working down to #1 (thinnest setting). The dough will stretch and lengthen into a long strip.
- Take long strip of flattened dough and place on floured surface.
- Brush side of dough facing up with egg.
- Using a teaspoon, drop spoonfuls of almond mixture in middle of dough about 1/2 inch apart.
- Fold dough over filling, sealing edges by pressing with fingers.
- Using ravioli cutter, cut dough around filling into semi-circles. Repeat until all of the dough and almond paste has been used.
- Line a large bowl with paper towels and set aside.
- Fill medium sauce pan 1/3 of the way full with mixture of 50% olive oil 50% vegetable oil. Heat pan on medium-high heat. When oil becomes hot, reduce heat to medium / medium-low heat. Fry cookies 4-5 at a time until golden brown. Cookies will sink to bottom at first, and rise to top once they begin to cook. Once golden brown remove cookies from oil using a spider or slotted spoon and place in bowl lined with paper towls. Sprinkle with sugar. Repeat until all of the cookies have been fried.