My great grandmother was not the first volunteer to try this Pinterest-inspired vegetarian dinner. Let’s just say quinoa is not in her 94 year old vocabulary.
I found these three recipes on Pinterest. Happily, they were all successes!
These vegetarian quinoa burgers are tasty, packed with protein, and best of all easy to make. They are great on top of salad or in a pita with baby spinach, tomato, and garlic mayo.
Ingredients: (makes approximately 10 burgers)
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup low-fat small curd cottage cheese
- 1 medium carrot, finely grated (OR 1 cup shredded zucchini, squeezed)
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Olive oil for frying
- In a large bowl combine the cooked quinoa, cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, carrot (or zucchini), eggs, flour, green onions, garlic, pepper, cumin and salt. Mixture will be slightly sticky.
- Heat a frying pan over medium low heat. Add 2 – 4 tbsp olive oil. Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, drop quinoa mixture into heated pan. Lightly flatten to 1/2 inch thick. Fry until golden brown (about 5 minutes on each side).
- In order to ensure the burgers do not fall apart, make sure the bottom of the pan is coated with olive oil and use a thin spatula to flip the burgers over.
Per burger: 132 Calories, 8g Protein, 5g Fat, 12g Carbs (2g Fiber); 0g Sugar; 200mg Sodium.
Crispy Parmesan Green Bean Fries
- 4 cups fresh green beans (wash and snip the ends off)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp Pepper (or to taste)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place green beans on prepared baking sheet, making sure they are evenly spread out and none are laying on top of each other (this is necessary to ensure crispness!) Mix cheese, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Sprinkle seasonings evenly over green beans. Place baking sheet with green beans in pre-heated oven and bake for 10-15 minutes (until golden brown and crispy). Enjoy immediately.
Garlic Mayo Dip (for Green Bean Fries)
This garlic mayo is great with Crispy Parmesan Green Bean Fries and home made sweet potato fries. It is also great on burgers and sandwiches.
- 1/2 cup Mayonaise
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- Put all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together.
- Serve immediately.
Sweet and Sour Pickles
- 2 English hothouse cucumbers (1 1/2 pounds total), washed, unpeeled, very thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp Coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 cup Distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup Finely chopped fresh dill
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
- Place cucumber slices in colander. Sprinkle with salt; toss to coat. Let stand 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, for the dressing, in a large bowl, stir vinegar, dill, sugar, and pepper until sugar is dissolved.
- Drain cucumbers and pat dry. Add cucumber slices to bowl with dressing and stir to blend.
- Refrigerate at least 15 minutes (no longer than 2 hours).
- Serve cold.